Friday, May 20, 2011

Stuff, Stuff, and More Stuff

Well, the countdown is on.  Tomorrow I'm having a yard sale, and so have begun the process of sorting, shifting, piling, and packing.  And filling up trash bags at an alarming rate.  I've even finally driven home to the kids that we are in fact moving out, and they are now actively engaged in the process as well.  As I sit here at my computer, I can look over at the huge pile of stuff for the yard sale that is the tangible result of many hours of work.  If you're in the Taos area, come to my yard sale!  I'm across from the Ranchos post office; you'll see the signs from the main road.

There is still much to do, but I feel like I'm over the hump now, that I've established a momentum.  Much better than the freaked-out paralysis I was experiencing a couple of days ago.

I went out to the land last weekend to move the bus, and actually did manage, with the help of a friend, to get it started, but it would only stay running if I kept my foot on the gas.  And then it just died altogether, possibly because it ran out of gas.  At any rate, my friend, who has a monster truck, has offered to tow it from the junkyard to my land, so I'm extremely grateful for that.  We'll be doing that on Sunday.

In other news, last week I had to drive to Albuquerque for a conference, and it turned out to be a (serendipitously) fruitful trip for my housebuilding project as well.  Right before I left town, I checked Craigslist and someone in Santa Fe had just posted that they were giving away about 60 Saltillo tiles, so I stopped there on my way and loaded them into the Blazer.

I'll be using some of these for the floor of my outdoor shower, initially.
Then, on the way back, I stopped in at the brewery in Santa Fe  and picked up another 100 or so bags.  As it happened, it was happy hour, so I sat outside and enjoyed a glass of beer in the late afternoon sunshine, before doing the last leg of the drive.  It was lovely, and a nice rest between the whirlwind of the conference and returning to the whirlwind of my "normal" life of four kids and five jobs - and now moving, for crying out loud.

Since the trip was paid for by UNM-Taos, my only cost was the price of that $2.50 beer.

5 comments:

  1. gotta love a work-funded trip that harvests such good things :)

    four kids and five jobs
    wow, that sounds pretty full on
    hopefully four kids can be four times the helping hands for the move

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to be over the hump, if I was anywhere near Taos I'd come over and browse your sale. Great about the tiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Susan, this is taking on a lot...my prayers and good wishes to you for a smooth transition. Remember to give yourself room to change your mind about things. Hope we can touch base when I come out your way in July. Would love to have you in Pam Houston's class with me....maybe we can share a glass of wine one evening after one of the readings if you come over to take one in. I have a rental car this time so that will enhance my experience. Be well, brave woman! Godspeed. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great deal getting things done on a job trip. Jealous of the tiles. Glad the kids have finally gotten with the program. Moving is WORK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kel - Well, it occurred to me the other day that I'm actually down to 3 jobs right now, at least for the summer, thank God.

    Eryl - I wish you could come to Taos!

    Judy - Hey, stranger! Nice to see you here. Yes, definitely get in touch with me when you're in Taos. I won't be doing the conference this year as all my time and money is going into building, but I'd love to get together.

    jicky - Yeah, the tiles were a sweet find. Moving is definitely work, but at least this time I know I'll never have to do it again unless I really want to.

    ReplyDelete